Sunday, September 7, 2014

ANATOMY OF A PREDATORY CITY

About ten years ago I got a traffic ticket in the city of Pine Lawn. I deserved it, I ran a stop sign in front of the City Hall and police department. I was in a hurry so I decided to take a short cut because of construction at the intersection of Natural Bridge and Keinlein. I cut through the street west of that and it was there that a Pine Lawn's finest was following me and gave me the citation.

I have gotten tickets before and I show up for the court because sometimes I can get a reduced sentence or so I think I can. So I went to court night, waited outside with a really long line of people because there wasn't enough room in the courtroom for all the defendants. Most, it turned out after I spoke to them, were residents of Pine Lawn. Most, on this night, seemed to be there for non traffic offenses. There was an elderly lady, who was allowed to sit down, complaining to any who listened, that “I've lived here for forty years, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket before, and now they want $50 because my trash can didn't get taken from the street.” Many others seemed to be there for similar offenses. I was astonished that there was no mercy, even for her. I then discovered that for my ticket I would have to pay $125 CASH, NO CHECKS OR MASTERCARD. (Since that time they have installed an ATM for which the city gets the fee, I am sure.) I had no cash on me. Why would I carry a large sum of cash in the city of Pine Lawn? I got lucky though, one of the police officers knew me, and since I was the only non person of color in the building, I stuck out like the proverbial thumb. He said he would talk to the judge and see if I could get some type of deal. If not I would be thrown into jail until the money arrived. My wife was not feeling well and had gone to bed and my other friends were not available to bring the money to me. I did get to bring the money in the next morning at 8 A.M. Or as soon as the City hall opened. I wondered how many of the remaining people would not be as lucky.

My situation was not dire but I wondered how many of those Pine Lawn citizens had the cash to pay the fines for leaving their trash can out too long. This is what I call a predatory town. They have few businesses to pay sales tax and traffic stops and housing violations are the only source of income.

The same is true of most of the cities in the county of St. Louis. It isn't as prevalent in the more affluent cities because the tax base for property is more. Why would a city treat it's citizens as their ATM? Because, in order to exist, they have to do something to make money. Sure it is important to make sure that housing remains safe and comely, but why not help the people, not punish them.



No comments:

Post a Comment